In this article we will show how to install Time Doctor 2 with Group Policy Management for your Active Directory users or computers.
You will need Administrative access to your server to complete steps below.
1. Download Time Doctor 2 MSI installer.
2. Place it into a shared folder on your server and make sure your Domain Users have Read access to this folder.
3. Open Group Policy Management and navigate to an OU to which you want to apply Time Doctor 2 installation.
(In our example we will be applying it to Regular Staff -> Computers for all users who log into а computer to have access to Time Doctor 2 desktop app.)
Right click on OU and select Create a GPO in this Domain and link it here.
Give it a name (in our example we will call it Time Doctor 2).
4. Now we need to edit few Windows Security Settings for this GPO so that it silently installs on a user PC without any UAC prompts.
Right click on Time Doctor 2 GPO and select Edit.
Navigate to Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings and select Local Policies -> Security Options and double click on it:
5. In the new window scroll down to the bottom and change the following policies:
a. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for adminsitrators in Admin Approval Mode - Elevate without prompting
b. User Account Control: Detect application installation and prompt for elevation - Disabled
c. User Account Control: Only validate executables that are signed and validated - Disabled
d. User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess that are installed in secure locations - Disabled
6. Now it's time to add Time Doctor 2 MSI package into the list of apps to be installed with Time Doctor 2 GPO.
In Group Policy Management Editor click on Software Settings -> Software Installation.
Then right click on it again and select New -> Package...
Navigate to the folder where you have Time Doctor 2 MSI file. (Please make sure that location path is on the network and not on a local machine).
Click Open and select Advanced. Under Deployment tab you can select "Uninstall this application when it falls out of the scope of management". Then click OK.
That's it! Now when your users log into their computers they should be able to see Time Doctor 2 desktop app icon and start tracking their time.
(Please note that automatic updates will not be available with GPO.
Server Administrator will have to manually download an update for Time Doctor 2 and simply add it into an Upgrades tab for Time Doctor 2 software package).
For questions, comments, or feedback regarding this topic, please send an email to email@example.com.